Thursday, December 27, 2012

(Fiction) My Dad's In Space Patrol Chapter 2: We’re attacked!


Chapter 2: We’re attacked!

       I was hiding behind some supply boxes.  They were large styrosteel boxes of ready to eat meals.  Other boxes were loaded with water bottles and hydrosorbs or small devices that absorbed and purified moisture from the air.  I was clever and turned off the sensor that would detect my presence in this spot where I was crouching, so Dad had no idea. 

       Lift off was normal.  I had visited other planets with the family before, but it was still rather exciting.  I knew dad was at the controls so I snuck over to the small port window on the back door.  I could see New Umdin, an orange and green suface, rotating slowly and then getting smaller as we headed to dad’s first patrol zone: the mining colony.

      I quickly ran back to my secret spot behind the supply boxes as I knew, Will, my dad’s partner, would probably be back here soon to check things.  Will was kind of a greenhorn.  He was young and a little nervous, but he would never admit it.  He meant well and had a heart of gold. 
           
     Just as I heard Will come through the autodoors, “BOOM” I heard a terrible explosion and within a second our ship was shaken terrible.  I screamed and so did Will.  “What was that?” I said, forgetting that I was a stowaway.  “I don’t know,” said Will, also forgetting. Then he realized and did a double take.  He made a bug eyed look at me and said “What are you doing here, Tom?”  

to be continued...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment